Sunday, July 12, 2009

Will a daily multivitamin boost my preschooler's immune system?

My son seems to be sick every other week with colds or stomach viruses. He is otherwise in great health. He has been attending preschool part-time for over a year now. His diet is fairly good. He loves veggies but does not like fruit or juice. I wondered if a daily multivitamin would help his immune system, especially vitamin C. Any suggestions for a good supplement that tastes good? Has anyone seen results with vitamins and their kids getting less sick?

Will a daily multivitamin boost my preschooler's immune system?
A vitamin supplement with vitamin c would probably be a good thing. There are several gummy vitamins that are now on the market that taste exactly like regular gummies. Keep them locked away since they can't tell the difference between them and candy. I would avoid the flinstone gummy vitamins if he is a younger preschooler just becuase for some reason their gummies are very hard to chew. We use L'ilCritters gummy vites with my 3 year old. under 4 they get one gummy and 4 and up gets 2 gummies. I get mine at sam's club but i'm pretty sure walmart sells them as well. Also they have vitamin c in a gummy form now as well. Might consider having him checked out by his pediatrician. I know they've been having a public announcement here in the seattle area about if your child is constantly catching something it could be more then just a cold but I can't remember the website on the commercial.
Reply:I don't personally see this as a case of a bad immune system.... You say he is in preschool....there is your answer! Kids catch things ALL the time, from the store, from their playmates, from school. Your situation is not out of the ordinary!


If you feel the need to give him a little extra boost I see no issues with a vitamin (though I am not an expert). there are all kinds of children's vitamins on the market, Flinstones is one of them... I also know that Centrum makes children's vitamins. I would consult your child's pedi before giving him vitamins, mainly because he will be able to tell you the best brand and if there is something else causing the constant illnesses(or if it really is just the weekly bug going around). On top of that he will also tell you how much to give him. My son's pedi told me to give him 1/2 of one. Sometimes it is hard to get kids to eat things that are good for them and can start to effect the natural vitamins they should be getting...not always though.


Good luck to you!


No comments:

Post a Comment